On 12 February all the world celebrates the Day of Charles Darwin. The famous scientist, the founder of the theory of evolution and natural selection was born on this day in 1809. Top 7 interesting facts about Darwin and the discussions that it raises still — in the material altapress.ru.
- Contrary to popular belief, the idea of the theory of evolution does not belong to Charles Darwin. In the XIX century it was developed by Jean Baptiste Lamarck. As Darwin developed this theory and added to it the concept of “natural selection” is an evolutionary process, in which the struggle for existence survive, the organisms that have useful traits and properties, and killing those who do not have them.
- “Survival of the fittest”: so in General, understand natural selection. Meanwhile, according to the teachings of Darwin, survival of the fittest, not the strongest.
- A popular legend that at the end of life Charles Darwin recanted his beliefs. In 1915, a woman preacher, Elizabeth hope has published a history of the “spiritual transformation of the great skeptic” in the American Baptist publication. In her words, Darwin himself before his death, told of his error. No more evidence of this fact.
- Darwin never claimed that man evolved from apes. In the mind of the scientist, a monkey and a human could be a common APE-like ancestor.
Tubes. In the laboratory.
- The first trial against the teaching of Darwin took place in 1925 in the United States. In the history of this case is left as the “monkey trial”. Tennessee law banned teaching any theory that teaches that man evolved from animals and denies the divine creation of man. This law is called “bill Butler”. The first under this law within 2 months fined school teacher John scopes. A canceled bill Butler in 1967.
- In 2006, the Petersburg schoolgirl Maria Schreiber and her father filed a lawsuit against the Ministry of education of the Russian Federation. They demanded to ban the teaching of the theory of Charles Darwin as the dominant. The plaintiffs considered that the right of Schoolgirls to receive reliable information disadvantaged, as Darwin’s theory, which is presented as the main, not true, writes RIA Novosti. The court rejected the claim.
- In 2014, the head of the Roman Catholic Church, Pope Francis has recognized the theory of evolution and the Big Bang theory. He emphasized that scientific theories of the origin and development of life do not contradict the teachings of the Church.
“Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve,” said the Pope at the meeting of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences.