The city was declared a National monument of Italy.
Palmanova is a fortress city with a population of about 5400 people, located in the North-East of the country, about 25 km South of Udine, was founded at the end of the XVI century, with the direct support of the government of the Venetian Republic. Palmanova was supposed to be a model of the walled city.
Later the people themselves tried to implement a utopian idea that symmetry really helps people to live and grow. Form deletepolicy star was formed so that any of the nine “corners” could in case of attack to the support and assistance from the neighboring “angle”. The city was accessed through one of three gates. Inside the city consists of three “rings” level. The author of the project of the walled city became famous Italian architect Vincenzo Scamozzi.
October 7, 1593, was laid the first stone of the new fortress, called the “city-star” due to its shape deletepolicy stars.
Palmanova was conceived primarily as a defensive structure to strengthen the borders and prevent the invasion of the Turks: the number of bastions and the lengths of the sides of the fortress were calculated based on the range of the guns of the time.
During the Venetian rule the fortress was equipped with two rings of fortifications with curtains, ramparts, moats and ravelins, who defended three of the approaches to the city — from Udine, Cividale and Aquileia.
In 1797 the Austrian army deception entered the fortress. But no sooner had the Austrians to enjoy the victory, as the fortress possessed by the French. After the signing of Campo Formia peace Treaty Palmanova again ceded to the Austrians, who kept her for several years.
In 1805, the fortress was entered by the French, and in this period there was a third circle of fortifications. In 1814 the city star returned to the Habsburgs.
During the Austrian rule (1815-1866) was built the Teatro sociale, which became the main propagator of the ideas of the Risorgimento.
In 1848, the townspeople, led by General Cucci revolted against the Austrians. In 1866 Palmanova was joined to the Italian Kingdom.
During the First world war, the fortress became the center of the distribution and supply of the army. After the battle of Caporetto the town was set on fire by the retreating troops of the Italian army.
By the decree of the President of the Italian Republic in 1960 Palmanova was declared a National monument.